Tuesday 14 May 2019

What I'm currently reading

I actually have a fair few books on the go at the moment, but there's a few I want to mention.

Firstly, I'm still working through Timothy  Snyder’s book ”On Tyranny: Twenty Lessons from the Twentieth Century” (pub. Vintage Publishing, 2017, ISBN 978-1847924889 [Amazon] ). Yes, it's taking a while, but I still have to work for a living and am still supporting my partner as she deals with cancer (her book on that experience will be great). The chapter I've just read drew parallels between the start of the SS and the way POTUS45 has worked his supporters into a frenzy to chase out dissenters from his rallies.

Next, I'm reading Chester Wilmot's "The Struggle for Europe" (Lucknow Books, 2016, Amazon - who have hidden the e-book ISBN yet again), about the rise of nazism and the fight to free Europe during World War (part) Two. Cited in the Wikipedia link: "John Keegan wrote, "Wilmot effectively invented the modern method of writing contemporary military history" ". So far, I'm finding this book far more useful than the texts I've been reading on "grand strategy", as it gives an excellent insight into the thinking, decisions and interactions between various events.

Finally, after read a free sample, I immediately bought "Servant Leadership: A Journey into the Nature of Legitimate Power and Greatness" (Paulist Press, 2002 [first pub. 1977], Amazon - who have hidden the e-book ISBN yet again), by Robert K. Greenleaf. So far, it appears to be an early version of the concept of stewardship (servant  leadership) combined with business ethics. I've got a reservation as to whether this ethics will meet modern standards (e.g., LGBTIQ+ etc), but it's promising so far.

And now, off to my day job.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.