Wednesday 29 April 2020

Health professionals: be professional

During this pandemic I have continued to experience transphobia and homophobia, including from some in the "health" industry - I refuse to go to one brand of chemist now as a result, and I am debating whether to lodge a complaint about a hospital, although that predates the pandemic.

Being "stressed" is no excuse: things like misgendering KILL people, and make an absolute mockery of any claim to be a "health" profession. (See also this and the three paragraphs before the dot points at the end of this.)

Less severe in its consequences: don't lie.

My partner had a medical procedure this morning, and I and her other partner are normally allowed in. Today I was told - in a very abrupt tone of voice, which I will attribute to pandemic stress - that it was "patient's only". Bullshit - that was either:
(a) a deliberate lie, which is unprofessional and destroys the person's credibility;
(b) incompetent management in that the person didn't know of prior practice, which is unprofessional and raises questions about the organisation's professional competence. 
Best solution? Don't lie!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.