Sunday 1 September 2019

A Professor of Politics

I was catching up with some YouTube videos this morning, and one of those was John Keane's Presentation to the Fabians recently (see here). It was interesting, so, partly for that reason, and partly to find out what he meant by "monitary democracy" (and how it was spelt, given it sounded like "monetary", but was clearly something else).

He has an interesting series of articles on the conversation, including a take on Assange and the 2016 US presidential election that I'm thinking over, and an interview on what is happening in Hong Kong (although the interview is from a couple of weeks ago).

I've now bought one of Professor Keane's books ("The Life and Death of Democracy", Simon & Schuster, 2009, ISBN 13: 978-0743231923, also on Amazon), and put a few others on my wishlist.

Time and energy limit how much I can do, but I'll try to work through his material as much as I can (more so after I retire - if I do), and suggest others may care to have a look at his material.

PS - the book I'm reading so far has some suprising emotive touches (in the adjectives): quite a few academics (and almost all writers) do this to help the books sell, but it's a little disappointing. More concerning is a statement in an interview that the Equal Marriage postal survey was good because it got the issues dealt with and out of the way (or words to that effect), which is complete and utter BS. The postal survey was incredibly divisive and damaging, and the hate is still arguing. On my part, there are places I will not go to because of their survey results.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.