Monday 4 November 2019

Book review to be done: Rachel Maddow's "Blowout"

When I started reading this, I was wondering if it would be more or less an update of Leif Wenar’s book Blood Oil (or the newer book, "Beyond Blood Oil", which I have not read [or bought] yet): it isn't.

Rachel  Maddow's book accepts the premise of the "Resource Curse" that Wenar lays out, and goes from there, digging deeply into the anti-democratic actions of major players in the oil and gas industries around the globe, particularly over the last half century, and this century in particular. The book is well written, providing explanations of key aspects of technology that media coverage I've read has often missed, and ends with a call for voters to accept their responsibilities. 

I'll write a proper book review in due course, but I thoroughly recommend it in the meantime to anyone who is considering buying it. (I'm also considering Maddow's earlier books, particularly "Drift: the unmooring of American military power".)


Details are: "Blowout", by Rachel Maddow, pub. Crown, 2019, ISBN 9780525575498, Amazon.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.