Saturday 16 November 2019

Ethics

I've just been watching a new streaming series on World War (part) Two "in colour" (which means "it's been colourised). The talking heads are new, but the content is the same as in other history books, series, etc.

What concerns me about this, however, is that some of the air combat footage in a couple of the episodes looks very like scenes I've seen in movies (most is clearly NOT, I wish to make clear), and some of the film is incongruent - for instance, in discussing an attempt by a US B-17 bomber as it crashed to hit a Japanese aircraft carrier, showing footage of a near miss by a two engine Japanese bomber - and some of the other air combat scenes are the wrong plane types. My impression is that someone thought these sorts of details didn't matter (like the person who thought blue combat lighting for one side's submarines in the film "The Hunt for Red October" was acceptable), perhaps because they wrongly thought "Oh all planes fighting each other are alike".

However, the series is described as a documentary, and the talking heads are accurate and good, but including the claims of discovered footage and "in colour" in series title implies, in my opinion, a reasonable expectation of accuracy - that means, if you don't have relevant footage, stay on a talking head. (Also, one of the graphics wrongly shows Japan conquering all of PNG - which is an area these sorts of series seem to have a US-biased inclination towards errors . . . .)

If you do not understand where the errors are and why they matter, in my opinion you need to seriously lift your game.

This has, however, led me to decide to have a vent on ethics.

Ethical concerns is why I haven't signed up to facebook. Specifically:
  • I question their need for a physical address for people signing up - especially given their sleazy origins; 
  • I have always considered their attitudes towards what they consider free speech to be immature, and reject the "radical honesty" line as immature, self-serving BS. Furthermore, their decisions show a concerning tendency, in my opinion, towards misogyny; 
  • their flippancy and one-sidedness around privacy and security have always been a concern; 
  • they are dealers pushing and addictive product with no concerns to social harm; and
  • their lack of action on violence is concerning - and makes a mockery of their request for an address.
I know some people say they put false details in, but there is a specific page where you have to confirm that you have told the truth, so those people are, in my view, liars and thus inherently untrustworthy everywhere.

I've been concerned about a fair few ethical issues of late, and have decided to start a new, occassional series: "Ethics, Lazy Management and Flawed Thinking".

This post is not the first.

I'll create a running summary, which I will refer to in this and all future posts, at: https://politicalmusingsofkayleen.blogspot.com/2019/11/ethics-lazy-management-and-flawed.html

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.