Saturday 19 March 2022

Putin’s People

I am currently reading Catherine  Belton's "Putin's  People", which gives a detailed account of corrupt, violent, and criminal actions before, during, and after the collapse of the USSR, with a focus on Putin's rise to power. 

I am still getting into it, and the content is concerning, but consistent with what I have come across from others. Furthermore, at the time of collapse, quite apart form the allegations of this book (there has been one successful challenge by one person to the comments about them, but other challenges will be "robustly" defended), I objected to the unseemly haste of the transition to capitalism - it was just always obviously stupid, and going to cause massive suffering (including deaths), and those advocating for it it were, in my opinion, blockheads (which I have found is bolvan in Russian - болван in Cyrillic characters)

I haven't finished it, but on the strength of what I have read so far, it is worth considering buying, IMO.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.