Sunday 28 March 2021

Learning from the past: the Roosevelts

As I recently mentioned, I've been watching the  the Ken Burns  documentary from a few years ago on the Roosevelts.

I still have a few episodes to go, but I have been surprised by some of the prescient comments of Theodore Roosevelt - although I still see him as a blood-soaked, militaristic, imperialist and sexist patriarchalist. The comments include that Japan would seek a further war (it takes one to know one?), and that the Republican party would wind up serving "special interests". The extent of his progressivism in his unsuccessful 1912 campaign is also impressive, as is his early (pre-World War One) support for the League to Enforce Peace.

Now for the next episode . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.