Wednesday 24 February 2021

An update on the registration of engineers

I started this post quite some time ago, but was waylaid by life - fortunately, as it turned out.

I wrote to my local Member of (state) Parliament (technically my Member of the Legislative Assembly, or MLA) on this; they forwarded my email to the relevant Minister, who has now replied, and: 

  • probity (basically, police) checks will now be limited to current name; 
  • staff doing the assessment will be given LGBTIQ training; and 
  • the process will be online.

This addresses my previous concerns - to the extent that I now consider it realistic for me to consider planning for a retirement. 

Of course, no doubt many others contributed to this, but it does give me encouragement for the potential benefit of  making the effort to lobby

For interest, the sort of matters I raised (or considered raising) included: 

  • work experience of being misgendered and deadnamed; 
  • police checks - as such - require listing of all former names (i.e., deadnaming)
  • at least two other other organisations who perform police checks have people I know (from direct personal experience) to be transphobic; 
  • previous comments to me on this matter had a transphobic tone along the lines of those bigots who make false claims along the lines of M2F TGD people going through the hell of transition (including hormone therapy that causes infertility and sexual dysfunction) to get in women’s toilets - which is ignorant,illogical, and ignores F2Msand non-binary people
  • potential privacy concerns; 
  • lack of awareness including stupid assumptions about M2F voices changing after gender alignment surgery.

I’ve written on this and related matters previously. See:


No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.