Friday 16 June 2023

A challenge to industrialised/neoliberal/"western" societies: stop scarring everybody and dooming them to failure/destruction

On my main (spirituality) blog I have mentioned a little about: 

Gabor  Matébook  The Myth of Normal: Trauma, Illness & Healing in a Toxic Culture 

 Ive also mentioned the book on this blog - here, here, and here.

I have now come across a quote in the book which, in my opinion, perfectly encapsulates the problems of the industrialised and/or neoliberal and/or “Western” world (and societies that model themselves on those societies) - and the author also thought it was telling: 

In 2006 I wrote a newspaper article titled “Why I No Longer Believe Babies Should Cry Themselves to Sleep,” pointing out that leaving small infants alone stresses their brains, with potential negative effects. It also hurts a mother’s heart. I quoted my late mother-in-law, Monica, who had a painful memory of being a young mom in the late 1940s and early ’50s and following medical counsel to ignore her infants’ cries. “It was torture for me to do it,” she told me. “It went against all my motherly emotions.” Some years later the paper’s website republished the piece, which was quickly shared over eighty thousand times, drawing many responses. One of them was priceless: “This article is nothing more than prefrontal lobe BS. There is no way an infant’s brain patterns are permanently psychologically damaged at such a young age. There is no way that your prefrontal cortex will permanently adopt patterns that will translate into adulthood. No way. If that would be the case, then the last 3 generations to rule this earth (boomers, pre-boomers, Generation X) would have all been emotionally unstable and plagued with psychological issues.” “Well, then,” I thought to myself, “I rest my case.”

These problems need to be acknowledged and then addressed not only by individuals and small groups, but by our political and economic systems.


If you appreciated this post, please consider promoting it - there are some links below.

Vote Yes for the Voice in Australia.  

Finally, remember: we need to be more human being rather than human doing.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.