Monday 14 August 2023

Unemployment

An article reports academic officialdom (economic experts) as agreeing unemployment should be below 4% - unlike the RBA and Treasury, which want it above 4%. 

I’ll write the RBA and Treasury off as a loss on this topic (too many years advocating for the old orthodoxy to change, I suspect), but I wonder if the figure would be as high if the experts were aware of the reported link between unemployment and suicide? 

I would hope they had enough decency to drop their preferred rate below 3% - noting their argument being it can never be zero as there will always be people in-between jobs. 

Personally, I think it should be in the 1 - 2% range: a lot of the job changes we see now are, I suspect, because people are trying to get to jobs that dont harm them as much, or are trying to juggle multiple jobs to survive or have been given the heave-ho - the changes recommended in the second article would, in my opinion, make staying in jobs more viable.


If they are of any use of interest, the activism information links from my former news posts are available in this post

 

If you appreciated this post, please consider promoting it - there are some links below.

Vote Yes for the Voice in Australia.  

Finally, remember: we need to be more human being rather than human doing.



 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.